Here are some reasons I’ve come up with to why you should support the independent coffee shop scene. Thanks and enjoy!
1. Lift your community. Bulk the economy by keeping money “IN” your local shops, not chain. By doing so, you would… 2. Harden the 24,000 already existing (but still struggling/fighting) coffee shops all over the country to a flourishing 50,000.
3. Which would… House surfacing writers/poets, musicians and activists. Your friends!
4. Independent beans taste better! Each cup, one at a time. Locally roasted, unique, organic and pushing Fair Trade growing practices. All crafted by…
5. Tiptop and charismatic baristas greeting you by name, and not trampling you by rude urgency. Always putting lots of love in your latte.
6. Latte art. Enough said.
7. The weekly discounts! Always, always, always.
8. Organic and all natural foods. Taste just like grandma’s. Because it probably is someone’s nana! Small businesses aren’t stranger to brother and sister partnerships. Your neighborhood coffee shop most likely has a weekly delivery from your neighborhood bakery shop. Which probably means one scone won’t contain 500 calories, but lots of healthy attention from nana.
9. Enjoy the worn-in leather couches that don’t match well with the red oak tables. Come in to work, or come in to be lazy.
10. Every shop will have its own style and design: southern Italian cafe look with outdoor seating; conference table center piece made of pine wood with all white bar counters surrounding… on the shore; clean, bright and simple modern look with windows for walls; or how about dim and grungy with old books, college campus look? No more ZzZzz’s when you walk in — these shops present the real “third place environment”.